Young Paraders is an alpaca/rural skills-building program with workshops, training camps, and show competition events that showcase alpaca activities, designed specifically and exclusively for young people between seven and 22 years of age.
The program is set up for young people to have fun, learn about and enjoy alpacas and to transition interested youth through various stages of learning. It is designed to demonstrate the bond that develops between alpacas and their handlers, and the skills required for their management.
- Offer inexperienced youth the opportunity to compete in an alpaca-related event.
- Offer experienced youth the opportunity to showcase their expertise and knowledge in handling alpacas in a public arena.
- Engage the interested public in a way which will both entertain and educate them about the Australian Alpaca Industry.
- Provide a platform on which young people can enter and then progress within the industry.
- Promote integrity between competitors, handlers and their animals
Young Paraders competitions incorporate two distinct areas, with three levels of experience (Introductory, Preliminary, Open), and provides for several age groups. The two elements/sections of the competition are showmanship and stockmanship.
For our Preliminary youth, showmanship is based around basic husbandry and fleece knowledge and alpaca handling.
For our Open competitors, showmanship aims to simulate skills needed in a halter showring.
Our competitors are required to lead their nominated alpaca through a series of challenges across a course. These challenges simulate day-to-day handling of alpacas on-farm, school, or public settings. They must show safe handling skills and a good relationship with their alpaca.
Within the open section of paraders there are awards given to competitors who choose to train an alpaca from the beginning of that alpacas paraders experience, and are that alpacas only trainer.
Resources for convenors and judges - score sheets
- A. OPEN SHOW PRESENTATION – GROUP SCORE CARDPDF 224KB
- B. OPEN SHOW PRESENTATIONPDF 221KB
- C. PRELIMNARY SHOWMANSHIPPDF 224KB
- D. STOCKMANSHIP SCORE CARDPDF 416KB
- E. Class Result Sheet Senior OpenPDF 593KB
- F. Class Result Sheet Intermediate OpenPDF 593KB
- G. Class Result Sheet Junior OpenPDF 592KB
- H. Class Result Sheet Senior PreliminaryPDF 577KB
- I. Class Result Sheet Intermediate PreliminaryPDF 578KB
- J. Class Result Sheet Junior PreliminaryPDF 576KB
- K. Champion Results Sheet - OpenPDF 204KB
- L. Champion Results Sheet - PreliminaryPDF 541KB
- M. Young Paraders Assessment Tasks OpenPDF 217KB
- N. AAA Alpaca Youth Education Convenors Show ReportPDF 112KB
- O. Marshalling Sheet TemplateVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.SPREADSHEETML.SHEET 20KB
Convenvor support docs
- AAA_Young_Paraders_ScheduleVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.WORDPROCESSINGML.DOCUMENT 39KB
- AAA_Young_Paraders_Entry_FormVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.WORDPROCESSINGML.DOCUMENT 46KB
- AAA Young Paraders Herd DeclarationVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.WORDPROCESSINGML.DOCUMENT 38KB
- AAA Young Paraders Ribbon OrderVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.SPREADSHEETML.SHEET 26KB
- AAA Young Paraders Convenor ReportPDF 112KB