Q Alpaca is a voluntary alpaca quality assurance program maintained by the Australian Alpaca Association. Alpaca growers who participate in Q Alpaca work with MAP-approved veterinarians.
The program is designed to:
- Encourage easier and more affordable diagnosis monitoring, and management of known diseases, and so promote greater member participation.
- Give maximum reduction of risk that a defined Emergency Animal Disease (such as Foot and Mouth Disease) could affect your herd in the event of an outbreak in Australia.
- Ensure your alpaca herd remains healthy, by agreeing that any death within your herd is professionally investigated by the same approved veterinarian.
- Ensure there is a minimal chance of taking certain preventable infections and infestations to your client’s herd, as well as preventing the introduction of these conditions to your herd. Examples of such conditions include Johne’s Disease (JD), severe worm infestation, liver disease, gastric ulceration, liver fluke infestation, and coccidiosis.
The program comprises of forms for the explanation of:
- A herd and property management plan – an agreement between an owner and their vet to maintain Q-Alpaca requirements.
- A registrar that identifies any animals that come and go from your property.
- Provision of an Annual Stock Return to your vet, containing herd details.
- An agreement with your vet to conduct post-mortem examinations of any animals over 12 months of age that dies or is euthanased for any reason or for any cria under 12 months with a history of wasting or diarrohea that dies or is euthansed. Animals over 15 years of age or those killed in a dog attack are exempt.
How do I join?
Joining and renewing your Q-Alpaca membership is done through your AAA membership account on eAlpaca. Annual renewals are due from 1 July each year and if document is not submitted by 31 October, registration will be cancelled.
Q-Alpaca is $28 annually for herds up to 20 registered animals and $60 for herds with over 20 registered animals. An additional management fee will be charged by your approved vet.
Q Alpaca forms
- Q-Alpaca - Q2 - Agreement FormVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.WORDPROCESSINGML.DOCUMENT 691KB
- Q-Alpaca - Q3 2018-19 Annual Stock ReturnVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.WORDPROCESSINGML.DOCUMENT 701KB
- Q-Alpaca - Q4 - Post Mortem Report FormVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.WORDPROCESSINGML.DOCUMENT 699KB
- Q-Alpaca - Q5 - Herd Management FormVND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.WORDPROCESSINGML.DOCUMENT 694KB
- Q-Alpaca Guidelines for Veterinarians.VND.OPENXMLFORMATS-OFFICEDOCUMENT.WORDPROCESSINGML.DOCUMENT 709KB