A series of 4 meetings to cover pasture requirements in each season.
3 March, 2 June, 1 September, 1 December
A seasonal education series to give alpaca owners an overview of agronomy for increasing carrying capacity, health of stock and help breeders reduce feed costs by reducing the amount of hay and feed purchased.
• Sowing brassicas- techniques, seeding rates, fertiliser
• Sowing ryegrass/clover and oats-seeding rates, paddock requirements, fertiliser
• How to increase stocking rates
• Winter cleaning of broadleaf weeds such as capeweed, Patterson’s curse and thistles- chemical and grazing options
• Oversowing of paddocks with ryegrass/clover-varieties, rates, techniques
• Fertiliser program to optimise growth
• Tools of the trade-equipment required
• Managing grass weeds such as barley grass, silver grass in pastures-techniques for control
• Grazing management with high volumes of feed
• Guide to what type of hay to buy and differences in quality.
• Preparing for next autumn
• Managing excessive growth
• Grazing management