Working with us
You will join a small, passionate team located in the Canberra national office who are committed to strengthening and growing the Australian alpaca industry.
Our inclusive and collaborative environment will make every day something new and there’s ample opportunity for fast-paced work to keep you feeling challenged and motivated.
We want people with drive, initiative and who want a career where they can feel like they’re making a difference.
Specialist Director (voluntary) – see below
Specialist Director (voluntary)
Specialist Director (voluntary)
- Appointment: Part Time
- Commence: October 2021
- Remuneration: $0 this is a voluntary position. AAA will meet reasonable expenses
- Location: Non specific
- Applications close 1 September 2021. AAA reserves the right to close this role early if a suitable candidate is found
ABOUT THE AUSTRALIAN ALPACA ASSOCIATION (AAA) LIMITED
The AAA is a national not-for-profit organisation whose mission is to grow the Australian alpaca industry into one that is recognised as a sustainable and profitable agricultural enterprise for current and future farmers, through building domestic and international customer-driven markets and supply chains for Australian alpaca livestock, fibre and meat.
The AAA works to promote and grow the concept of alpacas as a viable and sustainable agricultural industry by providing information, tools and invaluable support to alpaca owners across all aspects of the industry to bring people together for the future of alpaca farming as a fully commercial industry.
We aim to be the voice for the alpaca community as an organisation devoted to Australian alpaca farming and to provide developmental opportunities for alpaca farmers across the nation to grow and develop the national herd.
We invest in important research and development, herd health and genetic advancement programs, as well as supply chain and marketing initiatives, and provide current and reliable animal health, welfare and biosecurity information and resources relating to the alpaca industry.
The AAA is an Australian Company limited by Guarantee. AAA is a not-for-profit entity.
The AAA is a vibrant and passionate member-oriented organisation. Our staff liaise regularly with AAA’s volunteer branches and members as well as a wide range of other stakeholders, organisations, governments and individuals. The AAA has ‘regions’ in each state and its activities are predominantly undertaken by alpaca producers on a voluntary basis, with the assistance of a small office based in Canberra. Information about the Australian Alpaca Association, including our vision, mission and strategic plan can be found at www.alpaca.asn.au
AAA operates an elected Board with the capacity to appoint Directors with specialist skills. The Board consists of up to nine (9) Directors. Seven (7) Directors are alpaca producers elected from the AAA membership, including the President (who is also the Board Chair). Two directors may be appointed by the Board from the wider community.
AAA is seeking a Specialist Director for a period of one year (until the 2022 AGM)
- Attending and making strong contributions at Board meetings aligned to your skill and experience sets. The AAA Board meet approximately 14 times a year via video link.
- Supporting the CEO and their team.
- Ensuring that decisions are consistent with AAA’s constitution and align with AAA’s strategic plan.
- Ensuring that effective governance practices are instituted and followed, that AAA’s financial position is managed, and all legal and regulatory obligations are met.
- Represent AAA as a Director at forums and events.
- Comply with the governance policies as set by the Board.
- Serve on Board committees as required.
AAA is seeking applications for experienced company directors with demonstrated skills and experience aligned to the following criteria:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in company governance as a director of an Australian Company. Experience with a scaled not-for-profit is preferred, however experience with charitable or for-profit companies will be considered.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in any or all of the following areas:
- Brand development and/or marketing;
- Risk management; and
- Business administration including corporate finances.
Desirable Selection Criteria
Desirable but non-essential section criteria include:
- Tertiary qualifications in the fields of management, business, law or marketing; and
- Membership of the Australian Institute of Company Directors or an equivalent professional body;
Applicants are encouraged to discuss the nature and context of this position with the AAA CEO Amanda Olthof or AAA President Brett Fallon.
Please send applications to Amanda Olthof via email
E: email@example.com, using the subject line: Specialist Director (voluntary) enquiry